- Class/Lab 40 hours
This comprehensive 40-hour course prepares students to proficiently function as phlebotomy technicians and to pass the certification exam. The course includes 40 classroom and laboratory hours. Important practice and background information on anatomy and physiology of the circulatory system are covered. Medical lab terminology, disease processes, ethics and legal aspects of patient contact are also covered. Additionally, students will perform hands on skills to include; introduction to the function and proper use of various needles, tubes and other specimen collection devices. .
- To provide the student with experiences in the classroom, laboratory and in clinical areas that result in development of basic competencies and skills required of a phlebotomy technician.
- To provide the student with competencies and skills that are prerequisites to specific areas and job entry.
- To provide the student with training required for employment as a Phlebotomy Technician.
- Obtain non-blood and blood specimens competently.
- Demonstrate common blood collection procedures.