- Class/Lab 165 hours
This certificate-training program comprises of 165 hours of classroom and laboratory training, and 40 hours of clinical externship. The program prepares the student for both clinical as well as administrative duties in a clinical health care setting. They will be responsible for minor medical/surgical procedures using aseptic techniques where needed, accurately measure vital signs, administer medications, perform EKGs, and other basic laboratory procedures, etc. The MA student will also become competent with entry level medical office administrative duties such as medical charting and documentation, appointment scheduling, maintenance of accounts receivable, follow-ups, competent communication skills and much more.
- Prepare the student to work a Medical Assistant in a variety of health care settings such as the hospitals, clinics, doctors' offices, mobile services, etc.
- Acquire a basic working knowledge of medical terminology.
- Become familiar and learn the basic structure, functions and interaction of each body system.
- Discuss the pathway from patient contact through the diagnosis, treatment, follow-up and financial aspects of medical care.
- Demonstrate the strict safety standards needed to protect self, patients, employees and employers.
- Explain the legal, cultural and ethical issues and regulations within healthcare.
- Perform all clinical duties expected of a clinical medical assistant.